Sunday, October 25, 2015

What Inspires You?


Miriam-Webster defines “Inspiration” as something that makes someone want to do something or that gives someone an idea about what to do or create : a force or influence that inspires someone; a person, place, experience, etc., that makes someone want to do or create something; a good idea.

No matter what the definition, each of us has something that inspires us.  A muse.  It can be a song, an experience, a photo, a painting, a poem, an adventure… a place….  Some of us are lucky to find inspiration everywhere we go.  Some are inspiring all on their own, creating environments that people find energizing, addicting; a situation that is looked forward to the next time.

I have had many “inspirations” in my life…  my 5th grade teacher, Sonya Sykes – who enjoyed writing science fiction in her spare time and created fun, motivating learning experiences.  Two professors in college – Mercia Grassi and Normal Leebron.  Mercia was my Marketing professor; interactions with her left me energized, exhausted, and feeling like I could “leap tall buildings in a single bound!”  Professor Leebron, “Norm” was my Advertising professor.  He was calm, methodical, a “coach” in every sense of the word.  And gave me the best advice that aided me throughout my corporate career.

Summer excursions to my family home in India, spending valuable time with cousins, aunts, uncles; playing card games for hours - would always leave me content and happy upon my return to the US, ready to start the Fall motivated and refreshed.  

Monet, Van Gogh, Nitin Ghangrekar, Ansel Adams, Yanni, Barb Streisand, Jhumpa Lahiri, Shell Silverstein, Les Miserables, Gandhi, Madonna, the Taj Mahal, Ankgor Watt, Books, Movies, Yoga, Sunrises, artistic workshops, the first time I looked into the eyes of my babies,   the laughter of my children, the love and support of my family, my husband’s calming voice…. so many daily boosts of inspiration.  The list goes on and on..

I welcome you back to my future posts as I write about experiences, adventures, people....  really anything that inspires me as an artist.

 (with) Peace, (in) ART, (to the) Soul.




SHEL SILVERSTEIN — INVITATION
If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .
If you’re a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!


1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I look forward to sharing this journey with you! Jeanne